Thursday, July 22, 2010

The "1 Hour" dress.

Here is McCall's pattern M5893.  I started it at 2pm, straight from the envelope.  It probably took me at least 20 minutes, if not 30, to cut out the pattern, get it pinned the right way on the fabric and get the fabric cut out.  I imagine the "1 Hour" doesn't include that time.  Once I had it cut out, the dress itself was pretty easy to make, but I'm saying this as someone who has made a few dresses.  I made dress "C" technically, but I cut it to the length of dress "B."  Even if I take out the time it took me to cut out the pattern and fabric, it still took me an hour and a half to make this, so it's a little closer to a "2 Hour" dress.

I used fabric I found at the thrift store.  Maybe this fabric used to be cotton sheets?  I really don't know.  It looked brand new.  This is a ridiculously comfortable dress with nice deep pockets perfect for hiding your hands.  The downside is that it isn't exactly slimming with its billowing skirt and it has that faux maternity thing going on.  I also think my fabric might be a little sheer in direct sunlight so I'll probably have to line it with something or wear a little slip under it.  But seriously, if you know anything about sewing, this is a pretty cute and simple project


  1. Hey. The dress looks beautiful. I'm using the same pattern in hopes of a cute, quick dress. Having less luck than I wanted. I have made the top and sewn the sides of the skirt but from there I don't know where to go. I'm having issues gathering what the instructions are telling me as far as attaching the top and bottom and making the casing. Can you provide any help?

  2. The instructions for these "hidden" casings under the bust are always a bit confusing I think. The secret is to gather the bottom so that it fits with top and sew it together with a nice BIG seam allowance. You then fold this seam allowance up and sew the edge of it down to about a 1/2" or so above where you attached the top to the bottom originally. This creates a channel made up of the dress top and your seam allowance. This particular dress, which I made out of a stretch cotton is super comfortable! It's one of the few dresses I've made that I actually am confident enough to wear outside!

  3. Cuando se trata de un estilo fabuloso para las mujeres, no hay nada mejor que tener un buen Bolsos Michael Kors Rebajas.
    Bolsos Michael Kors Baratos es realmente caro y para algunas personas esto es un desvío.
    Du kan inte gå fel med en bra läder Michael Kors Örhängen.
    Det finns en miljon alternativ att välja mellan nu när man letar efter MK Väska.
    Billiga Handväskor har den inneboende förmågan att fånga kärnan i vad kvinnor gillar och vad de vill bära och använda.
    Disponible en orange vif avec la marque en or, ce sac est un type décontracté de Pronote College Longchamp.
    Cet article se penchera brièvement sur ce Longchamp Soldes Destockage.

  4. MK Handbags is identifiable in its sleekness as well as elegance.
    MK Outlet means an unerring eye for taste as well as classiness.
    Ray Ban Sunglasses Sale Uk are very functional and known as spy sunglasses, because they are meant for recording videos and images.
    This is one of the most indispensable features of Ray Ban Sale Uk.
    Cheap Ray Bans also offer polarization feature of the lens.
    Oakley Sunglasses Sale Uk are thought be offer security to everyone who is wearing the sunglasses.
    Oakley Sunglasses Sale are a very essential accessory.
    So really it is ideal that you go for Cheap Sunglasses Uk.

  5. Baby dresses are going to be in direct contact with baby skin, and for this reason you should use mild detergents when washing baby dresses. cheap flower girl dresses do get a lot of things spilled, or spewed, onto them, and these spills often cause stains. The mild detergents are not as good at removing stains so you will need to take some precautions to keep the baby dresses clean and looking good.

  6. Hi, I’ve been a lurker around your blog for a few months. I love this article and your entire site! Looking forward to reading more! Prom dresses 2019