Friday, July 9, 2010

T-shirt Reconstruction: Nightshirt to Comfy Summer Dress

This reconstruction started with this nightshirt that I accidentally shrunk in the dryer.  As you can see, the sleeves are too short now and it is way too short (which is why I'm wearing jeans underneath it in the picture!).  I was super angry because it was so soft and comfortable, so I decided to do something with it!

I started by cutting the sleeves off.  This is usually how these things start!

Then I cut the shoulder seams open at the top.

I flipped it inside out and drew a line using tailor's chalk to try to make it into basically a tube dress.  My chalk didn't show up well for the camera, so I laid pens down basically where I was going to sew.  I did this on both sides. 

I cut a couple small pieces of fabric from the sleeves that I sewed onto the front top sections of the shirt (on either side of the buttons and button holes).  These went from the top of the v-neck to where I cut it at the shoulder seams.

After I sewed these pieces on, I rolled them over and sewed them to my seam allowance to form channels.  In this picture, one side is done and the other one is still waiting to be folded over and sewn down again.

I made straps out of the original sleeves and attached these to the back then pulled them to the front, through these channels, and tied them in a bow.  I put a white tube top under the dress (because I'm too modest to wear a dress with a key hole that low!)

This dress is super comfortable.  Almost too comfortable.


  1. Very cute! I particularly like the neckline detail.

  2. La Nike Air Max Mujer se ha convertido en una locura internacional durante mucho tiempo.
    En los últimos tiempos, muchas marcas han lanzado su colección de Camisetas Nba 2018.
    Hay tanto camisetas caras y camisetas baratas, especialmente la Camisetas Nba Baratas.
    Con el número creciente de fanáticos locos, la Camisetas Nba no solo está pensada para los jugadores.
    Las tiendas de deportes pueden querer Comprar Camisetas De Futbol.
    Para las tiendas, puede comprar Camisetas De Futbol Baratas de China y otros países a bajo precio.
    Estos Camisetas De Futbol Baratas están hechos a medida y diseñados para dar el mejor ajuste.
    La mejor forma de Comprar Camisetas De Futbol es buscar en nuestra auténtica tienda en línea.

  3. Michael Kors handbags can now be found on many discounted sites for fractions of retail prices. The best option for individuals wanting to own Michael Kors handbags is to shop at online discount stores. A great place to shop for these luxury bags is eBay.
    Friendly Links: Michael Kors Handbags Sale Clearance | Michael Kors Outlet Store

  4. Michael Kors Handbags On Sale,
    You can find Michael Kors handbags in many department stores around the country.
    Michael Kors Purses Outlet,
    They are being seen all over the place.
    Michael Kors Bags On Sale,
    There are so many fabulous handbags to fall in love with.
    MK Handbags,
    To find these amazing handbags you can also shop online for all your Michael Kors products.

  5. Michael Kors Handbags Sale Clearance can be found in many different places unlike other luxury handbags.
    Michael Kors Outlet Online are great for any occasion.
    Michael Kors Factory Outlet is perfect for those who like to carry fashion bags.
    Michael Kors Outlet Online is so universal that it could appeal to everyone.