This is the first quilt I've ever made and it was a great learning expierience. I made it for my soon-to-be-born son's nursery. I used 8"x8" squares with 1/2" seam allowances. The quilt is 8 squares by 8 squares making it approx. 56" across, which I suppose is a weird size but it was just a lot easier to work with a big square I decided. I laid out my quilt simply with a paint program after finding some fabric online that I absolutetly adored. Once I got the fabric I realized that it would be fun to add some orange and to make the top and bottom "border rows" out of quartered squares using some of my left over fabric. This quilt is far from perfect and doesn't line up at every corner, but I love it anyways!
I decided to applique little windows on the castle and put the various medieval characters inside including kings and queens, peasants and lute players. The back of the quilt uses this yellow fabric I found with orange fleur-de-lis's all over it and some larger sections of leftover fabric from the front. I hand-sewed the binding down around the edges (which took forever but looks really nice) and tied the quilt using yellow yarn. It may need more ties since I think 7" apart might be too far.
I then decided to make some matching curtains using our families crest as an accent. I tried to make them replicate medieval banners with the scalloped top and quartered colors. The crest is a circle with a griffin, and if I were to make it really accurate it would read "Grip Fast" on it. I appliqued these pieces on and placed some opaque fabric behind them so that the griffins would show up better during the day since the fabric itself is pretty sheer. My son's room is beginning to feel more and more like a knightly castle!